A handcrafted saree that takes an artisan a month (or two!), of dedication and artistry, to create is worth enjoying for a long time. It is a piece of wearable art, and a slice of history, that deserves to be passed on from generation to generation.
While this is a sentiment shared by many women, both old and young, given our rushed lives today it is a bit of a hassle to remember what exactly needs to be done and when.
Well, to save you time and stress, and because we love all you saree lovers, we at Jullaaha, have put together a handy series on saree care and preservation.
This week we start with the Kalamkari Saree, that whimsical, hand-painted, beauty, that gets you a host of compliments every time you adorn your beautiful self with it.
So here goes.
The most important point to remember here is, authentic Kalamkari sarees are painted using natural dyes and any harsh chemicals, or prolonged exposure to direct, strong sunlight, will cause this colour to fade over time.
Cleaning Your Kalamkari Saree
1. Mix rock salt in water and let your Kalamkari saree soak in this liquid for about 30 minutes.
2. Wash out all the salt water by rinsing the Kalamkari saree gently in cold water.
3. If you want to use a soap, avoid harsh detergents. Instead, use a mild shampoo. Make sure you rinse out all the shampoo though.
4. To dry, hang out your Kalamkari saree in a shady area, away from direct sunlight. Do not wring or twist the saree to dry. To drain excess water, lay the wet saree between clean, soft, white towels and press gently.
Ironing Your Kalamkari Saree
1. Iron the Kalamkari saree on a low setting
2. Always on the reverse side of the saree, never iron directly on the artwork
3. Use a cotton cloth as a base to place your saree on while ironing, preferably on an ironing board or table.
Storing Your Kalamkari Saree
1. Store your Kalamkari saree in a cool, dark space.
2. Wrap the saree in a thin cotton cloth, preferable muslin, to allow it to breathe. Never use plastic cases or boxes to store natural fibres.
3. Refold your saree at regular intervals, along different fold lines, to prevent creases and fraying.
4. Keep away insects using neem leaves. Place these next to your Kalamkari sarees for a natural insect repellent.
5. Dry your saree completely before storing. Never store damp sarees.
Now, wasn't that simple. You can now wear your gorgeous Kalamkaris bravely. We have your back.
If you want to know as soon as the next article in our Saree Care series comes out, click here and subscribe.
Psst.... if you want to add to your collection, take a peek at ours below.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
We can’t all become technical experts in every art and craft that we admire and hope to acquire a piece off. So, what do we do?
Through her varied and personal experience with Indian handcrafted textiles, over a decade, Jaya Devi Cholayil, offers you these simple distinguishing factors. A deep knowledge of the artistic techniques and textile crafting processes lies behind the quick litmus tests that she shares here.
As a newlywed, almost 30 years ago, Jaya was introduced to the world of Ayurveda and the Cholayil culture of combining natural, ethically sourced ingredients to create products that started lifestyle trends.
Given her love for art and her compassion for the less fortunate, Jaya Devi decided to take this heritage one step further and thus was born Jullaaha. A brand that is loved and respected as much for its all-natural personal care products and authentic, Indian, handcrafted textiles as it is for its work in bettering the lives of the down-trodden.
Block printing, as we know it today, is thought to have originated in China; though this art form has probably been practiced for close to 2,000 years.
After Vasco Da Gama discovered the shipping route to India in 1498, most of the world came to know of the beautiful textiles of India and this gave a boost to all related industries including that of the traditional block print.
TRADITION FOR TODAY'S MODERN WOMAN. INSPIRATION FOR TOMORROW.
We deliver the best handcrafted sarees and 100% Ayurvedic Personal Care products at the best prices, inspirational stories, and a lot more to your Inbox!